Sunday, September 9, 2012

Baked Spinach & Mushroom Frittata - Medifast Recipe

So, I have now over the last week spent at least 5 hours researching recipes and shopping for ingredients for the lean and green meals for the Medifast diet. I think the best part about the diet for now is the lean and green - so I find it extremely important to make it fun!

Tonight we had our 6th lean and green. I found a recipe for Baked Spinach & Mushroom Frittata, I modified it as follows:

Baked Spinach, Tomato & Mushroom Frittata - Medifast Recipe

2 cups of egg beaters (egg whites)
1 cup of baby spinach
1/2 cup of fresh mushrooms sliced (I used portabella)
1/2 cup of tomatoes (I used heirloom) 
1/4 tsp of onion powder (I didn't have this so I left this out and use pepper)
1/4 tsp of garlic powder
1 tbsp of grated Parmesan Reggiano cheese
2 tsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (healthy fat for the day)
*Optional: 1 tbsp of salsa and/or hot sauce (such as Sriracha)

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 425

Slice tomatoes and mushrooms
Saute spinach, tomatoes and mushrooms in 1 tsp of olive oil
Lower the heat once everything begins to wilt....add onion and garlic powder

In a separate baking dish (I used what I had - a square, glass dish. Another used a pyrex pie pan) use remaining 1 tsp of olive oil to coat (Next time I will probably just spray the whole dish with Pam cooking spray). Shake and measure out the 2 cups of egg beaters and pour into pie pan (or whatever cooking dish you are using). Add sauteed tomatoes, spinach and mushrooms to the eggs and spread out evenly. Top with Parmesan Reggiano cheese.

Bake at 425 for 15-25 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before eating.
*I added a tablespoon of salsa on top before eating - and some Sriracha (Because everything is better with hot sauce!)

This ends up becoming a huge fluffy delicious frittata.  It makes a BIG portion, so don't be alarmed if it ends up looking huge. The nice thing about baked egg whites is they are fluffy and filling, so if you are in the mood for some comfort food or something hearty, this is a nice choice.


Since I am cooking for 2 I doubled the recipe - Here are my pics:

Sauteing my veggies:



Veggies added to the egg whites, ready to go in the oven:


Fresh out of the over (the double portion took about 25 min. in this smaller pan and almost overflowed!) - smells yum!!



I cut the double portion frittata into fourths and gave us both 2 pieces. As you can see I added the salsa to the top:


A close up of my plate, notice the Sriracha:


It was seriously filling and I practically didn't finish it. This is definitely a lean and green you could split into 2 meals.

Try it out and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment